Monday, October 1, 2012

Food Myths


With small children, and being the “chef” of the Family, I am pretty big on Food Safety the last thing I want is a house full of sick children because of wrong food preparation and you hear a lot of things about food safety that simply are not true.
 
Just in time for September’s National Food Safety Education Month, To help consumers protect themselves and their families from food poisoning, the Ad Council, USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service, FDA and CDC and their Food Safe Families campaign as well as the Partnership for Food Safety Education are setting the record straight on food safety to save you time, money and most importantly, peace of mind, that your food is safe for your family’s consumption.
 
For 2012 Campaign the list of things that Are NOT true includes:
 
Myth #1: “If I microwave food, the microwaves kill the bacteria, so the food is safe.”
 Fact: HARMFUL BACTERIA MAY REMAIN. Harmful bacteria may remain if food heats unevenly. Be sure to follow cooking instructions including, rotating, stirring, and letting foods stand when indicated.
 
Myth #2: “I don’t need to use a food thermometer. I can tell when my food is cooked by looking at it or checking the temperature with my finger.” 
Fact: YOU NEED TO USE A FOOD THEMOMETER. Color, texture, and steaming are not indications that food is safe to eat. The only sure way to know that food is safe to eat is to use a food thermometer.
 
Myth #3: “Of course I wash all bagged lettuce and greens because it might make me sick if I don’t.”
 Fact: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WASH PREWASHED GREENS. While it’s important to thoroughly wash most fruits and vegetables, if packaged greens are labeled “ready-to-eat”, “washed”, or “triple washed”, then the product does NOT need to washed at home.
 
Myth #4: “I can’t re-freeze foods after I have thawed them – I have to cook them or throw them away.”
 Fact: If foods have been thawed in the refrigerator, then they may safely be re-frozen without cooking for later use. Never refreeze foods that have been defrosted in the microwave or cool water. Never thaw raw foods by letting them sit on the kitchen counter.
 
Wanna Check Out More myths busted:
&


Happy Food Safety Month!

No comments: